Mining and Metals
Working with virtually every major Ukrainian company within the sector as well as leading foreign mining conglomerates, we have developed a very good understanding of the commercial and legal issues faced by mining and metallurgical companies. We are proud to have participated in the largest ever M&A transaction involving production assets located in Ukraine, as well as the largest privatization of a metallurgy plant in the country’s history.
We have developed a strong position in the Mining and Metals sector, focusing on such matters as:
- Financing (we advised on leasing, export finance, trade finance and syndicated loans, as well as on Eurobond issues providing for extensive due diligence of assets in line with Rule 144A standard, involving major companies in this sector, including Azovstal, DTEK, Ferrexpo, Industrial Union of Donbass, Interpipe, Metinvest; we have also been involved in the debt restructuring by two major metallurgy conglomerates in Ukraine).
- Mergers and Acquisitions (due diligence of assets and obtaining merger clearances, participation in negotiations on numerous high-profile transactions, including the anticipated merger of Metalloinvest with the Industrial Union of Donbass, USD 3 billion acquisition of a group of metallurgy plants in Ukraine by Evraz Group, proposed merger of Severstal Group with Arcelor, the due diligence of KGOKOR, an iron ore plant in Kryvyi Rig).
- Joint Ventures (we advise our clients on various regulatory and antimonopoly issues in the course of establishing joint ventures in Ukraine, including the one between Gasmetall and SMART Group, a leading metallurgical group in Ukraine).
- Dispute resolution (our lawyers regularly represent clients in litigation and international arbitration proceedings, including acting for one of Ukraine's largest metallurgical plants in a series of arbitrations in Ukraine and Switzerland).
- Regulatory & Compliance (our experience here includes day-to-day advice on development of new sites, obtaining of licences and permits for operation and their renewal, exports transactions, participation in state procurement tenders, insurance issues, settlement of labour disputes, etc).